Sorting at Western

Dealing with waste effectively on campus requires the whole campus community to pitch in and Sort It Right! At Western we have four streams for waste, and when items end up in the wrong stream it causes contamination, and all the waste goes to landfill. 

Did you know that London has two streams for recycling? In London and on campus it's important to separate paper from containers. Even though they are all recyclable materials, it paper and containers end up in the same stream they can't be processed at the recycling facility and end up going to landfill.

When we know how to sort correctly and commit to sorting it right every time, collectively we will significantly reduce the amount of waste going to landfill and improve our sustainability.

Western's Waste Streams 

At Western our four streams include Organics, Containers, Paper and Landfill. Click here to view sorting signs in PDF format.

Western's organic waste is taken to Seacliff Energy, a waste-to-energy facility in Leamington, Ontario. Our recycling and landfill streams are taken to London's facilities for both recycling and landfill. 

Organics waste includes all food waste, all paper food packaging, and napkins and paper towel. Please ensure that no plastics go into Organics. This means removing plastic lids, cutlery, straws and bags from food packaging before placing the right items in Organics. 

Containers waste includes cans, bottles, tins, cartons, plastic food containers, and plastic lids. Please ensure that all items put in the Containers stream are mostly clean from food waste. A few crumbs are okay, but saucy or messy items can't go in Containers. 

Paper waste includes all types of office paper, newspaper, and magazines. The paper items must be relatively clean for the stream, so please no messy pizza boxes, no napkins, and no tissue

Landfill waste includes items that can't be recycled such as chip bags, plastic wrap, plastic cutlery, and plastic straws.