Moving can be a huge hassle, especially when you are a student. Luckily, there are some tricks to make your move easier and more eco-friendly. Check out the tips below to find out how:
- Buy or rent reusable storage containers to pack your belongings.
- Reuse old newspapers and plastic bags by using them as packing material. Towels, pillows, and blankets also work well to protect fragile items, so use them instead of new packing material to reduce waste.
- Pack as efficiently as possible to reduce the number of trips you need to make, or the size of truck you need.
- Set aside special waste items like ink cartridges, electronic waste, and batteries so that you can recycle everything properly in one trip to the community enviro-depot or other recycling facility. You can also bring these items to campus for proper removal: http://sustainability.uwo.ca/initiatives/waste_reduction/electronic_waste.html
- Donate gently used furniture to the Western Furniture Depot, April 22-May 1, Platts Lane Estates parking lot or east lawn of Alumni House.
- Post ads on Western's online garage sale to sell to other students: http://offcampus.uwo.ca/garage_sale.cfm