Rez Powers Down was developed to bring conservation awareness to students as they leave campus and become renters, paying their own utility bills. It is a student-run sustainability initiative that has been promoted over the last several years in Western's residences.
Over the week, students are encouraged to:
- Turn off as many lights as possible
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Turn the thermostat down and dress in layers
- Take cooler, shorter showers
- Wash laundry in cold water
- Unplug electronics and appliances that are not in use
Organizers will use Facilities Management’s real-time energy dashboard to monitor progress over the week and to determine the amount of energy that each residence saves.
More information can be found here: http://news.westernu.ca/2015/06/rez-powers-down-earns-more-accolades/