Sustainable Procurement Policy
The purpose of the Sustainable Procurement Policy is to define:
- Procurement Services’ definition of sustainable procurement
- The responsibility of those responsible for procurement of goods and services
- The way in which sustainability in procurement is executed atWestern
Life-cycle Accounting: the process of calculating the true cost of a product over its life-span, including but not limited to: capital costs, delivery, maintenance and disposal fees.
Sustainable Procurement: the responsible acquisition of goods and services that conserve natural resources, are ethically sourced and produced. Purchasing decisions are guided by the evaluation of economic, environmental and social criteria throughout the product’s entire life cycle.
- Those responsible for the procurement of goods and services will have regard for the development of an environmentally sustainable campus by endeavoring to purchase goods and services which meet a comprehensive range of sustainability criteria while complying with all University principles, policies, financial controls and provisions.
- Procurement Services is guided by the evaluation of environmental, social and economic factors to facilitate the responsible acquisition of goods and services for allWestern departments. Sustainability in procurement at Western is heightened through:
- (a) the use of guidelines by User Departments.
- (b) the inclusion of an assessment of the goods and services being procured, based on a comprehensive range of sustainability criteria, within the tender process.
- (c) the use of life-cycle accounting, when possible, to maximize value-for money.
RELATED DOCUMENTS AND OTHER RESOURCES
Policy on Procurement of Materials and Supplies
Procurement Services’ Sustainable Procurement Guidelines
Sustainability Plan – Our path to sustainability
BPS Procurement Directive
LIFE CYCLE COST OF OWNERSHIP
|1. Capital Cost|
|2. Installation & Calibration|
|5. Preventative maintenance fees beyond warranty|
|6. Replacement part fees beyond warranty|
|7. Disposal Fee|
|8. Estimated cost of all supplies needed to use the product for 1 year (i.e. toner cartridge)|
|9. Estimate life span of product (in years)|